Archive - Sep 2010
POCATELLO-Lon William Herbst, 60, passed away Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2010, at his home.
Lon was born Feb. 1, 1950, to E. Randall and Margie Ireton Herbst in Blackfoot, Idaho.
He attended Groveland Elementary, Blackfoot Junior High, and graduated from Blackfoot High School.
Lon joined the Army in 1969 and served on active duty in Southeast Asia. While serving in the military he received several awards.
Lon married Kristina Alleen Jenkins on Jan. 18,1982, and they were later sealed in the Los Angeles LDS Temple.
Janice H. Thurman of Blackfoot, 71, passed away peacefully on Monday, Sept. 20, 2010, while surrounded by family.Â
She was born on Feb. 12, 1939, in Blackfoot, to Robert and Velma Hansen.Â With the exception of one year in Salt Lake City, she lived her entire life in Blackfoot, where she was known by many.Â
BLACKFOOT â€” There were some scary moments for kids Wednesday afternoon at the Blackfoot Community Center when a fire across the street brought billows of smoke towards the Center, forcing an evacuation.
Center administrators quickly began calling parents alerting them to the fire and advising them that the smoke was intense. Approximately 35 students were picked up before the Code Red call came. With 52 students remaining, officers ordered them to evacuate.
THOMAS â€” Fresh legs prevailed at Snake River High School on Wednesday afternoon as the Snake River Lady Panthers took to the pitch after a rare 5 day rest.
The fresh legs were noticeable from the onset as Snake River dominated play throughout the contest, winning 4-0 over a game American Falls squad.
"The 2 game a week schedule is going to help us," Snake River head coach Randy Turpin said. "We played a much better team game today and the hard work that we have been putting into practice showed because the newer kids are really picking it up."
THOMAS â€” In a rough and tumble conference tilt with American Falls the Snake River Panthers earned a hard fought 1-1 draw on Wednesday evening.
"This was pretty evenly matched," Snake River head coach Trevor Peterson said. "We probably weren't as clean as we could have been but it was a rough and physical match which is how they play."
SHELLEY â€” There was a bonfire at Shelley High School on Wednesday evening as the student body warmed up their homecoming week with the age old tradition.
Unfortunately, that fire didn't carry over into the gym where the Shelley volleyball team dropped both ends of their tri-match with Rigby and Idaho Falls.
In each match the Lady Russets found themselves on the short end of a 3-0 sweep although the second match against the Idaho Falls squad was certainly a valiant effort.
BLACKFOOT –Downtown Blackfoot was covered in dense smoke Wednesday evening from a fire that destroyed a storage building for Sartori Foods.
The fire began at approximately 4:30 p.m. in a Quonset hut located on Ash Street across the street from the Sartori Foods manufacturing plant. Inside were packaging materials, cleaning chemicals and other unidentified materials.
Businesses and residences within a three-block radius of the fire were evacuated as thick smoke filled the streets and limited visibility for drivers on Judicial and Bridge streets.
BLACKFOOT -- Children at the Blackfoot Community Center were among the first citizens to be evacuated after a fire broke out at nearby Sartori Foods late Wednesday afternoon.
Ashlee Howell, executive director of the Blackfoot Community Center says the center will be closed Thursday while they assess damages. Center administrators will be in touch with parents as soon as possible.
Police took the children to Hawker Mortuary, which is several blocks away, until their parents could pick them up. Authorities used the Code Red reverse 911 system to contact many of the parents.
BLACKFOOT -- Blackfoot Police have evacuated several blocks of downtown after a fire broke out in Sartori Foods' wastewater facility.
Scanner traffic indicated that authorities were worried that chemicals in the building could igniite. Information indicated that the chemicals could produce dangerous gases if they caught fire.
The Morning News office and presses are in the center of the evacuated area. Check back on this Website for updated information.
BLACKFOOT â€” During their meeting Tuesday night, the Blackfoot City Council heard from residents who live on Wilson Avenue who are concerned about the sewer project currently underway on that street.
The residents are concerned with the manner in which the project is being completedâ€”with problems involving dust, road access and deep holes. They also voiced concerns regarding the structure of the road once it will be repaved, noting width issues, draining concerns and the possibility of the edges of the road breaking off.