Archive - Oct 2012 - Latest News
Items of note from Oct. 9-16.
BAD LIVING CONDITIONS: Oct. 9, 2:12 p.m.: A woman requested someone to check on some small children because she heard there is no food or electricity in the home and a sex offender is living at the residence.
SMOKE BOMB: Oct. 9, 4:12 p.m.: A caller at the courthouse reported finding a red ball with a stem on it and said it may be a smoke bomb.
GAS THEFT: Oct. 9, 4:47 p.m.: A caller at Stinker Station said a vehicle left without paying for $54.91 in gas.
BLACKFOOT â€” Regardless of the temperature readings, Blackfoot was the hot spot to be Thursday night as hundreds of music fans from throughout the region converged to Club El Centenario for concert performances by popular bands All American Rejects, Boys Like Girls and Parachute.
Fans from as far away as Salt Lake City, began lining up outside of the club as early as 1:30 p.m. to ensure a place close to the stage, for the show that started at 7:30 p.m.
BLACKFOOT â€” A boil water alert has been issued for Blackfoot residents living east of Fisher Street. This area includes Blackfoot High School, Stoddard Elementary School and State Hospital South.
Fecal coliform, better known as E. coli, bacteria was found in the water supply on Thursday. These bacteria can make you sick and may pose a special health risk for infants, young children and people with severely compromised immune systems.
What should be done?
BLACKFOOT â€“ During the month of October, dog lovers are being asked to contribute $1 to Hounds for Hadley each time they walk their dog.
Founded in 1920 by William Hadley and Dr. E.V.L. Brown, The Hadley School for the Blind offers courses free of charge to its blind and visually impaired students and their families and affordable tuition courses to blindness professionals.
Today, Hadley is the largest educator of people who are blind or visually impaired around the world, serving more than 10,000 students annually in all 50 states and 100 countries.
BLACKFOOT â€” The Blackfoot Community Center (BCC)-Activity Center at 257 S. Broadway is home to the only indoor playground in town and fundraising efforts are underway to make sure it stays open for children in the area to enjoy for many years to come. The playland, which was installed in August, was made possible through a variety of grants and is a thrill for kids with a bouncy track, rope swings, balance beams, basketball hoops, ping pong tables and climbing equipment, similar to that found at some fast food restaurants.
THOMAS â€” The well at the Snake River Middle School (SRMS) in Thomas has a nitrate problem. The nitrate level is still within the safe level, below 20 parts, however, nitrates measure above the limit of 10 parts. The nitrates in the old well at SRMS measures 13 parts.
Students, staff and cooks use bottled water for their water needs.
The school uses 25-30 five-gallon water bottles each week, said Ed Jackson, principal of the SRMS.
Marvin Fielding, an engineer with Schiess and Associates from Idaho Falls, presented three recommendations for the nitrate problem at SRMS. These are:
BLACKFOOT â€” October is recognized as "National Long-Term Care Residents' Rights Month." To celebrate, representatives from the Area Agency on Aging spoke with about 25 residents at the Willows on Tuesday.
The theme of this year's celebration is "My Voice, My Vote, My Right" with the goal of educating the community about residents' rights, including the right to vote and participate in the political process.
BLACKFOOT â€” What was once a giant patch of weeds outside the Blackfoot Animal Shelter has been transformed into a well manicured green lawn with a manmade brook leading into a scenic pond.
Nearly two months in the works, the landscaping project was a joint effort between Premier Technology and the City of Blackfoot. Christi Kotter, a controller at Premier Technology who helped on the project, said, "Doug Sayer [Premier Technology president] was working on his own property here and saw a need to help the neighbor [Blackfoot Animal Clinic] next door."
BLACKFOOTâ€”All the little ghouls, witches, and goblins are welcome to come and capture their costumes on camera at the Photography Boo-tique as part of the annual Halloween Charity and open house. Harmony Jones has put together the event for the last three years.
"My passion is my work; it builds my soul." said Jones of her business, "I feel so honored when a new client books a session with me, and when I hand them their family wall portrait, or their senior album."