Skip to main content

Case closed in final BHS hazing case

October 14, 2011

BLACKFOOT — The final hazing case involving five former Blackfoot High School athletes is now closed. Tuesday, Anthony Clarke signed a binding written plea agreement through his attorney. In this plea agreement, Clarke pled guilty to a misdemeanor disturbing the peace.
Magistrate Judge Charles Roos gave Clarke a withheld judgment and court probation for one year.
Under this plea agreement, Clarke was fined $500. He must pay court costs that total $137.50. Judge Roos suspended $500.
He was sentenced to serve 30 days in jail with 29 days suspended. He is to complete the 24 hours in jail within 90 days.
In the agreement, Clarke must also complete 100 hours of community service. Clarke's attorney said he has already completed this requirement. Clarke has until Dec. 31, 2011, to show proof to the court that he has completed the community service.
If Clarke successfully completes probation, he will be discharged from probation and the charge against him will be dismissed. Probation will be terminated on Oct. 11, 2012.
Two charges of battery and two charges of false imprisonment were dismissed on a motion from the prosecutor.
Clarke's trial was vacated due to the plea and sentence, which were done in abstentia with the approval of the victims. Defense attorney Dean Brandstetter represented Clarke in court because Clarke is now attending school at Carroll College in Helena, Mont.
Last year, Clarke red-shirted on the Boise State University football team. His name was removed from the BSU football roster this year.
This is the last case involving five former Blackfoot High School students who faced various charges from hazing incidents that occurred between Dec. 2, 2009, and Feb. 28, 2010, while they were members of the high school basketball team.
Besides, Clarke, defendants Nathan Walker and Logan Chidester pled guilty to two counts of misdemeanor disturbing the peace in March 2011. Defendant Tyson Katseanes pled guilty to one count of principal to battery in December 2010.
Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Randy Smith said Walker and Chidester were ordered to do 100 hours of community service; Katseanes was ordered to do 40 hours.
"These sentences reflect our interpretation of the level of culpability," Smith said.
The fifth defendant, a juvenile, was acquitted of all charges in February by Judge Roos following a juvenile evidentiary hearing.
"This has been an extraordinary strain and taken a huge toll on everyone involved—defendants, victims, families, friends," said Bingham County Prosecuting Attorney Scott Andrew.
"We feel this [plea agreement] is in the best interest for everyone; it is within the spectrum of responsibility of the defendants," said Andrew. "[This decision] will bring final closure and help people move on."

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes