Skip to main content

CO detectors recommended for homes using gas

February 26, 2014

Courtesy: http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm The International Association of Fire Chiefs recommend a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home, including the basement. A detector should be located within 10 feet of each bedroom door and there should be one near or over any attached garage. Each detector should be replaced every five to six years.

BLACKFOOT — In response to the tragic deaths of the Bill Parrish family in Pocatello, people are snapping up carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. By Tuesday night, area stores were sold out of detectors.
The tragedy involves Bill Parrish, his wife, Ross, and their younger sons, 15-year-old Keegan and 12-year-old Liam died last Saturday night because of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Blackfoot Fire Chief Kevin Gray said, CO detectors are recommended if people are buying gas or wood burning stoves for their homes.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers and power washers also produce CO.
See Wednesday's Morning News for the full story.

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes