Broncos, Grizzlies play to a draw

BLACKFOOT — Three weeks ago the Blackfoot and Skyline boys soccer teams took to the pitch of the Idaho Falls Soccer Complex and for 75 plus minutes battled to a 2-2 tie.
But a late Skyline foul set up the Broncos with a penalty kick, which won the game for Blackfoot 3-2.

Tuesday afternoon the two teams met again, with the Broncos looking to snap a two-game losing streak.
The Broncos came out aggressive on offense and played pretty good defense causing head coat Liam Pope to tell his bench that the game was the best soccer they had played since the two teams met three weeks ago.
Despite that two defensive lapses had the Broncos trailing 2-1 at halftime.
After an early second half penalty kick Andres Godinez tied the game, the two teams exchanged scoring chances finally ending in a 2-2 tie.
"Because this is 4A against 5A the games are quite competitive," Pope said. "There is a little edge to this game because a lot of the kids know each other and have played together and don't want to hurt each other, but they would sure would like to beat each other."
For most of the opening minutes the two teams exchanged possession in the middle of the field with neither really being able to put together an offensive threat.
The first real scoring chance came thanks in part to a Blackfoot defensive miscue.
Skyline's Brandon Sanchez found himself surrounded by four different Broncos defenders, but instead of having the ball knocked away by the Broncos, Sanchez was able to get off a shot the grazed the hands of Blackfoot goalie Dallin Fairchild and into the net.
A few minutes later Ozzy Oseguera used his head to find the ball and send it into the back of net to tie the game at 1-1.
"The first two goals of the game were poor defending," Pope said. "Conversely, they might say it was good attacking play. But there were four defenders around the ball on the first one and three defenders on the second one and we let one forward beat us and we cannot do that."
During his halftime speech Pope told his team that they needed to come out aggressive and get the equalizing goal early in the second half.
It may have taken a little longer than Pope would have liked, but Godinez capitalized on the penalty kick to tie the game.
The Broncos were far from out of the woods in the remaining minutes.
Fairchild had to make numerous saves including one on a late penalty kick to preserve the victory.
"That was a good game for us and especially important to get some momentum with district games coming up," Pope said. "I am happy to come out of the first five games with a .500 record, now we can focus on the games the count."
Blackfoot (2-2-1) host Pocatello on Thursday at 4:30 p.m.